Questions about renting for prospective tenants
- Do I have to pay an application fee? Yes. Each adult (person over the age of 18) and each non-student minor (person under the age of 18 not currently enrolled in school) must complete a separate application and each person must pay a separate $25.00 application fee. All persons living in the household must complete and/or be listed on the application. If a person is not listed on the application, they will NOT be allowed to reside at the residence. All application fees must be paid online using this website. Application fees will not be accepted at our office, over the phone, or in any other manner.
- Is the application fee refundable? No.
- Do you perform a background check? Yes. All applicants are subject to a criminal background check in addition to verification of employment history, rental history, and current income verification.
- Do I need to have good credit to be considered? No. We will not run a credit check. However, you must be able to provide proof of income in order to pay rent. Current employment will be verified.
- Do you allow smoking in any of your properties? No. All of our properties are non-smoking (both inside and out), to include the garage, carport, driveway, alleyway, yard, common areas, and any other area that is covered by the legal description maintained by the county for the property.
- Does COSH, LLC. participate in the HAP Section 8 Tenant-Based Assistance Program? From time-to-time, certain properties offered for rent do qualify for the Section 8 Housing Assistance Program. Please view the specific property page to determine if the property you are interested in qualifies for this program.
- Do you allow pets? We love pets. However, not all properties that we offer for rent allow pets. Please visit the specific property page to determine if the property you are interested in will allow pets. If pets are allowed, a separate pet application will be required to be completed and submitted with your application(s). Tenants with pets must be able to provide proof that they have previously rented with their pet - and rental history will be verified (sorry, no puppies/kittens/etc. are permitted). Please note that no more than two pets will be allowed in any given property. In addition to the security deposit for the property, a separate $125.00 pet security deposit per pet will also be due at the signing of the lease. Further, an additional $25.00 per pet per month pet rent will be due each and every month, in addition to the rent amount described on the specific property page. Please note that visiting pets/animals of any kind, at any time, are not allowed. Any violation will be grounds for eviction. To view the full pet application and list of requirements, visit our Apply Now page and access the pet application.
- What are the rental terms? Each property listing will state the rental terms. Most leases are 12 months in duration. There may be some exceptions at the discretion of the landlord.
- Will I have to pay a security deposit? When? Yes. In most cases, your security deposit will be equal to one month's rent. Some exceptions may apply - please visit the specific property page you are interested in to view the rent and security deposit for that property. In accordance with K.S.A. 58-2550, the security deposit will not exceed one month's rent. You will be required to sign a lease and pay the full security deposit (and pet security deposit, if applicable) within 24 hours of your application approval.
- Are there any other things to consider before I apply? Yes. We are looking for tenants with prior, verifiable rental history. If this is not you, please contact us prior to applying. We are also looking for tenants with no prior evictions. If you have had an eviction in the past, your application will be automatically rejected. We also want tenants who will take care of our properties. If your prior rental history indicates that you have damaged or otherwise destroyed a past residence, please contact us prior to applying.
Questions about tenant-specific issues
- I lost move-in move-out inspection form. Where can I get another copy? You can access a copy of the form here.
- I have a maintenance problem. What should I do? If your maintenance issue is not an emergency, please contact our office at 316-260-2674. If we aren't available to take your call, please leave a message and we will call you back. If your maintenance issue is an emergency, please contact our office at 316-260-2674 during normal business hours (Monday thru Friday, 9 AM - 4 PM); if it is outside of normal business hours, please contact 316-670-2769. If no one answers, please leave a message.
- My lease is almost over, can I use my security deposit to pay my last month's rent? No. K.S.A. 58-2550 strictly prohibits tenants from using any portion of their security deposit towards rent. Any violation is grounds for eviction and forfeiture of the security deposit.
- I just moved out. When will I get my security deposit? In accordance with K.S.A. 58-2550, your security deposit will be refunded within 30 days of the termination of your lease. It will be mailed to the last known address on file. If you did not provide a forwarding address to us prior to moving out, it will be mailed to the property that you rented from us. In the event that your security deposit does not cover damages, late fees, unpaid rent etc., you will be notified via mail that your security deposit has been forfeited, again, within 30 days of the termination of your lease.